PF PHOTO CONTEST - Old MacDonald Had A Farm (11/30-12/6)

In summary, the photo contest for this week is focused on farms. The main subject of the picture must be scenes on a farm and only one picture per member is allowed. The photo must be taken by the member submitting it and cannot be edited or modified except for resizing and cropping. The photo must also be identifiable as being on a farm to fit the theme. The winner will be chosen by a poll and if there are a large number of entries, the polling may be done in multiple threads. Participants must also use a different picture for each contest and not reuse a previously used photo.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Old MacDonald Had A Farm

This week's photo contest is all about FARMS. Your picture must have, as the main subject, scenes at a farm.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a grey area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. But other than that, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
Does it have to be an active farm? I have one featuring a ruined croft. I've also got a couple of arable fieldscapes with farm tracks. Would either of those be ok?

matthyaouw said:
Does it have to be an active farm? I have one featuring a ruined croft. I've also got a couple of arable fieldscapes with farm tracks. Would either of those be ok?

Er.. maybe. If something looks like a prairie, for example, where a farm used to be, then that isn't a scene that one associates with a farm. In other words, to keep with the spirit of the theme, it must be identifiable as being on a farm. It cannot be simply a landscape or a scene that could also be anything.

If there is some ambiguity, I'll let the voters decide for themselves in the end if the picture fits with the theme.

Zz.

I have the coolest picture of our farm that some guys took from their airplane, to bad I obviously wasn't the one who took it.

http://www2.wcoil.com/~rita/DSC00635.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Believe it or not, I actually did take this through the cage on a skid-steer loader. It was with my cellphone cam so the quality is not that good. The dog likes the attention the cattle give him. They have an unspoken language between them. It's too bad I didn't have more time and chances to get a good one. It would be nice if the whole dog had shown up on the pic. I couldn't have had more than like a 2 second window to get it once I actually got the cam out of the case and ready to 'click'. By that time the dog had grown bored with it.
Simon_Sniffer.jpg

ahahhahaha looks like the cow is sniffing the dogs behind! Now that's a switch!:rofl:

I kinda like it, but it looks like all these giant hay-marshmallows are coming at me. RUN!

Ivan Seeking said:
Not only does David Deutsch claim to have seen and officially named these mysterious objects, he stakes his reputation on the claim!
http://www.qubit.org/people/david/UFO/UFO.html

LOL

Oh and I will add that those bales are mine, I made them! Aren't they pretty and round :!)

scorpa said:
Oh and I will add that those bales are mine, I made them! Aren't they pretty and round :!)

I'm sure that those are the finest looking crop cylinders I have ever seen!

scorpa said:
LOL

What kind of baler?

Averagesupernova said:
What kind of baler?

John Deere

Model number?

turbo-1 said:
I kinda like it, but it looks like all these giant hay-marshmallows are coming at me. RUN!

:rofl: The first time I ever saw the round hay bales wrapped up in white plastic was out in OR somewhere. I took a picture of it from the car as we drove past (unfortunately, it's too blurry to use as an entry here) and tried convincing the folks back home that it was a marshmallow farm. :biggrin: We don't get gift-wrapped hay bales around here. :tongue:

http://home.earthlink.net/~parvey/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/farm.jpg

This is the farm in Minnesota on which I grew up. It was 80 acres and we raised 20 head of beef (polled Hereford), one milk cow and chickens. We also had a vegetable garden. It was purely a subsistence Farm.

I haven't lived there in almost 40 yrs. I took this photo about 14 years ago when I took the family back to visit relatives. Even then, there had been a few changes. They had torn down the old garage. (which used to sit about where the truck is now) and built a new one. (the building behind the barn.) The chicken coop which would have been a little below and to the left of the old garage is gone. The grove of trees at the far left of the photo were a quarter of the height they are in the photo when I lived there. The small pond which I used to float upon with a raft has been over taken by swamp grass, etc.

On the other hand, the house looks pretty much the same, as do the main barn and horse barn ( the peaked roofed structure in front of the barn is a separate building, even though it doesn't look it in the photo.) The willow trees to the left of the house, in one of which I had a tree house, are still there.

It's a little weird, even though I have not lived there for much longer than I ever lived there, finding this photo and describing it have brought back such strong memories that I'm starting to get a little "homesicK".

I was out at the farm today, but arrived just in time for the wind to kick up (I thought it might blow me away!) and the rain to pour down, so no photos today. :frown:

Here's mine. This is in Wellman, IA, about half an hour outside of Iowa City.

DCP_1078.jpg

Zz.

Spud the flying goat
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/8973/flyinggoatfb0.jpg

Herding dog demo at Firestone farm.

well the photo was not very clear..so I removed it.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
Spud the flying goat
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/8973/flyinggoatfb0.jpg
:rofl:[/URL] I remember this one, it's great!

deerhake.11 said:
http://www2.wcoil.com/~rita/DSC00635.JPG
[/URL]
You have my vote already! I wish I could look out of my window every evening and see something that beautiful...

Thanks! =)

thats right off my front porch in Lima, Ohio.. but now I'm going to school at Ohio State in Columbus - this makes me miss home a lot!

http://home.comcast.net/~Integral50/HPIM3266a.JPG

You have slightly more than a day left to submit a photo for this contest. So where are all those people who have pictures of grain elevators, etc. who complained when we had the Lighthouse contest?

:)

Zz.

Last edited:
Zapper, do a grain elevator contest next and I'll get you some pix. I wasn't even the one complaining. :rofl:

Here is one from a farm in Michigan UP.

Try to get that bolder out of your field!

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/1377/hill3gt3.jpg

sas3 said:
Here is one from a farm in Michigan UP.

Is that anywhere near Iron Mountain?

It is in Bessemer Michigan North of Ironwood, the Western part of the U.P.

That is some very cold country in the winter...very beautiful though.

Yes it does get quite cold up there and they get an average of 200 inches of snow a year. I just bought 3 homes up there and plan on living up there when I retire.

I tried the ice fishing once but I didn't like it much. I spent all of my time cutting out a hole in the ice large enough for the boat.

My sister-in-law loves it there.

photo contest

I am sure this is some kind of a record.

Think there's a chance happy might win?

Not sure if the picture qualifies, he named the file 'optimized' which may suggest some photoshopping.